Upcoming events sponsored by the Capital World Language Project (formerly CapFLP):
- 2013 Summer Seminar
- June 17-21 at CSUS
- Bring project-based learning to your classes! This summer, join us for a unique opportunity to study a thematic topic (environmental responsibility: sustainability, energy use, recycling, etc.) every morning so we become content experts and then spend the afternoons immersing ourselves in our target languages as we design learning opportunities for our students centered on authentic documents (in a variety of media) all treating environmental issues.
- Learn about how project-based learning is designed to build language through exposure to authentic content.
- Increase student engagement by helping them design powerful essential questions to examine in their own research.
- Discover the connection between project-based learning and 21st century skills as we learn to design meaningful learning experiences that will increase language fluency, cultural proficiency, and critical thinking skills.
- Design powerful "products" that will showcase students' knowledge and learn how to expand the audience for their work.
- Get more information here.
Upcoming events sponsored by FLAGS
FLAGS Student Awards Breakfast:
April 20, 2013.
- Held at the Denny's on Greenback Lane in Orangevale from 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Free for current FLAGS members plus the student they are honoring and TWO guests of the student. If you are not current and would like to participate, you must send your Membership Form and payment to Christine Lanphere, as indicated on the membership form.
- RSVP to FLAGS Vice President and Awards Chair Inga Templeton by April 14 with your name, the name of the student, the name of the award for the certificate (you may honor the student for anything you wish: most inspirational, highest achievement, etc.).
- Teachers MUST attend the event with their student and must present the award by speaking about the student and why he/she was selected. Attached is an invitation you may print out and give to your student honoree.
NorCal Jamboree April 27, 2013:
- Join us in Livermore for this mini-CLTA conference
- See the attached flyer for more info.
Discover Languages at the California State Fair: July 28, 2013:
- Join us and do good for world language education. We run a one-day booth in an air-conditioned hall a the California State Fair and we need teachers and dependable students to volunteer to work a shift playing children's games with the visitors or giving away Discover Languages logo merchandise. Contact Nicole Naditz ASAP if you and/or your students are interested in volunteering.